Water feature day?
Thursday started really strangely. I woke at 4am to the sound of Ben walking around the landing. No, I wasn’t dreaming, it really was Ben. He couldn’t sleep either so he offered to make me a cup of tea. Of course I said yes. Both back to beds with our tea, when I awoke to another noise at 6am. Surely not Ben again? But yes! Our sleep patterns are all over the place. I didn’t mind today as I was treated to breakfast in bed. Great start to the day.
It wasn’t much longer before I got up and outside to prepare the equipment I needed for the days project, but first a walk to the shops with Suzy and Ben to buy biscuits and sausages. We are fortunate that we have a great little selection of shops on our estate including a butchers. I asked them today if the could ever get goats meat, but apparently only if I wanted a whole goat lol. I’ll pass for today.
Back home to today’s project. Removal of the old water feature, prepare site and place newly purchased water feature. The old one still worked but it didn’t make splashy noises and so Rich and I had discussed changing it in the spring. I went out the day before and spotted two I thought we would both like and made my choice.
I learnt a big lesson today. That is to check your product before you do all the work to check it is in full working order. Today I hadn’t done this first!
Removal of the old water feature was relatively easy. Take off decorative stones, store ready to be washed. Remove ball and hosepipe. Ask slugs to vacate said ball. Scoop all the water out of reservoir. Remove reservoir from the ground being careful not to wake any deadly spiders. (Ok so they were not deadly just menacing!) continually check for sleeping newts. Ahhh hang on, two of the little fellows relaxing in the mud. Both were very still so I gently scooped them up and placed them in the bushes near to the pond.
Going well so far. Except I’d forgotten we had original cut the slabs to fit the water feature. But as I was on my hands and knees I spotted something lurking in the back of the border. Blow me down, dad had kept a couple of slabs there. Brilliant. So after rummaging in the workshop I found the required tools, removed one of the smaller slabs, filled in hole with left over Soil from recent border project, placed a layer of sand down and then bedded the new slab on top. Voilà new looking area of the patio. Except for a small gap in the slabs but we won’t panic just yet. The gap, I can live with as the new feature will be placed on top.
So slabs in, it was now time to get the water feature out of its packaging Everything looked in order so it was time to place the cable in the conduit. It started well but then the new cable wouldn’t go through one part of the conduit as the diameter was slightly smaller. Grrrrrr up to the work shop and loft in search of more. I found a piece much to my amazement, mind you was it really? I should remember dad holds on to everything, somewhere lol x it fitted. Marvellous.
Cable through it was time to connect. How very exciting. There are three connections for LED lights with a water proof seal. But one of the waterproof seals is damaged. Arggggggggg. Disappointment! I can not now finish this project today. I called up the garden centre who were most helpful. They have located me a new feature and will collect mine and then drop a new one on Friday. Oh well. Things happen for a reason I guess. At least the area is prepared and cleaned all waiting.
So I will continue with the water feature for you later today (Sorry the blog is a little late but I fell asleep typing it last night. When I woke I had written some really bizarre sentence. Must have been my dream in words lol)
I did manage to take some evening garden photos for you. So enjoy and have a good day x