The living room transformation……

Well the final piece of the puzzle or should I say the living room has been completed today.

For some time I’ve been working on lightening up the fireplace as the wood was extremely dark. This took some doing and has probably been the toughest bit I’ve worked on. With advice from some friends I set about taking back the varnish on the wooden fireplace. Dad built and designed the fireplace when we moved into this house back in 1982. The fire place has a lovely piece of wood on the top and sides and the bottom was completed with a bit of skirting and scaffold board.

The original fireplace.

I carefully taped all around the sides and coated the wood in the varnish remover. The instructions said it may take two coats and lots of scrapping. Yeah right, five coats and lots of scraping later and the next morning some sanding back I finally had some good looking wood.

Mummies little helper.

However on carefully removing the tape I discovered not only had the product removed the varnish but some of the paint and wallpaper. Well that’s another trip to B&Q then to get some paint to now repaint the whole chimney breast. Just before this though I treated the wood with a wax and I’m really pleased to say the grain looks great and it’s so smooth when you run your hand along it now.

Bugger.

Bev kindly offered to paint the wall for me as this isn’t an easy manoeuvre for me just yet.

The end result looks better than I could have hoped for. Just some lights and ivy to put up to soften the look and give it a beautiful warm feeling.

The doors into the next room were also very dark but I really didn’t fancy stripping all the varnish from them. To my surprise when Bev arrived she came along with a curtain pole and some teal colour fabric, which happened to match the lampshades perfectly. What a difference this makes to the door, whilst still letting light in from the next room. Well done Bev, great idea.

Before.
After.

So there we have it. After a few weeks work in lockdown two, three repainted units, two repainted tables, three painted lamp stands with new shades and a completely new look to the fireplace we have a transformed room. So much brighter, more modern and at a very small cost. Also it has given me something to work on over the last few weeks when we can not go anywhere we want again or meet up with groups of friends. A few well earned days off I feel now to catch up on some of my Suzy cross-stitch before I start the next project on the list. Have a great weekend everyone.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s