So close…….

The cold frame project has been continuing slowly. The last you saw of it was that I had cut all the wood in readiness to be assembled. This week I set to work making the frame. Most of this was straight forward.

Feeling pretty pleased with myself and how solid the frame was and how square it was I now had the challenging task of cutting the two angled sides. Many youtube videos have been watched in the making of this project as there as so many various skills required. The two sides were drawn out, double checked and then I cut each one separately with the jigsaw, but only after a practice cut on another piece of wood. The practice went so much better than the sides. One had a bit of a dip and once the balanced on top I discovered that they were not equal. Mmmm I’m a bit of a perfectionist and I wasn’t happy. Only one thing for it. Start on the side sections again but this time I would clamp the two pieces together and jigsaw them at the same time. It was hard going but a success. Screwed on it was looking great.

Another day saw another part of the project. This time to make the frame for the roof. Again I was amazed at myself how sturdy and square it turned out.

The cold frame needed painting as I wanted to protect the wood. I learnt from dad, build to last lol. The shed has quite a few tins of part used fence paint so the green was picked. Due to the cold weather it took two days though for the paint to dry.

Next was to attached the Perspex to the roof. Lots of friends have been advising me on certain aspects of the project and this was one of them. Not wanting to get this part wrong I practiced on a small square of Perspex first. This went well so I added masking tape and marking where I wanted the holes then drilled starting with a small drill bit working up to the size I needed. Phew. No disasters. The Perspex was then glued and screwed to the frame.

Glued and clamped in place.

Today I hoped to complete the cold frame, however I’m not quite there yet. I did add some little feet to the bottom posts to just raise the wood from the floor. But then it was on to the hinges. I’d purchased two different types and decided to use two other pieces of wood to work out which way round they would need to be and to ensure the lid opened how I need it to. Quite some time was spent attaching, trying and changing the position. I’ve even taught myself how to chisel out and counter sink the hinges. Something still isn’t quite right so the best thing to do was put it all down and leave it for another day.

Next week I hope to show you the finished cold frame and the start of the new veg beds. That and they may be a little painting involved indoors just to keep me busy x x

Morning Suzy stroll.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s